Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Why do most projects fail?

Michael Wade at Execupundit.com has written a short list of the reasons why most projects fail. He posits that many projects fail due to individual errors of omission. There's two things to like about this:

  1. I've been guilty of this, which ultimately caused problems, and
  2. This idea fits with one of my professional philosophies: "If there's a problem, look first to yourself."
That second one is key to leadership. I feel that as a leader it's my responsibility to figure out if there were something I could have done differently to avoid the problem situation. Only if there is nothing that I could have done can I fully blame another individual or organization. It's been my experience that the most effective leaders I've followed used this philosophy, and that they weren't "born" leaders, but they learned from their mistakes by reviewing their performance and incorporating those lessons into their approach.

0 comments: